My shredded Kale, Brussel Sprouts & Almond salad is one of my Venice Supper Club classics. It’s perfect for entertaining because it’s incredibly fast and easy but also can be prepared ahead of time and then just dressed on the spot before serving. It won’t wilt and be temperamental, which is the last thing you need when hosting an event for 20.
INGREDIENTS (SERVINGS: 8–10)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup almonds sliced
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino
Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Use hand immersion blender to combine; set aside to let flavors meld. Thinly slice kale and shredded brussels sprouts by hand or with food processor attachment to create “ribbons”. Combine in a large bowl.
Toast sliced almonds in a skillet on the medium high, watching until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool.
Slowly whisk olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Do Ahead: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.
Serve with love….xxx, Leah