What’s different about this quiche? The quality of ingredients and the amount of spinach. Everything is of the highest quality; humane eggs not fed on a diet of soy and antibiotics, raw milk full of enzymes, loads of spinach, nitrate-free bacon, raw cheese. I think bacon and fats have a bad rap; there’s nothing wrong with naturally occurring unprocessed fats in modest doses. And for the growing bodies and brains of little people, I actually think it is quite important to provide them with enough good fats. More on that in a future post!
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-8, 1 HOUR):
- 1 9-inch gluten free pie crust (one of the few items I buy in the freezer aisle, I love the one from Whole Foods private label — I’m not making my own crusts YET!)
- 7 eggs (pasture-raised, cage-free, no antibiotics, hormone-free — if possible!!!!)
- 1/4 cup raw whole milk
- 1/4 of a large organic yellow onion
- 2 cups of finely chopped ORGANIC spinach
- 5 slices humane bacon (preferably containing no nitrates and no antibiotics)
- 1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese — preferably raw
- pinch of salt, fresh cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 425.
Heat a pan to medium-high and cook bacon until done on both sides. I like mine bubbling but not too dark or it gets bitter tasting. Remember, it will also cook more while in the oven. I don’t mind the bacon grease and love the flavor it gives so I don’t pat it dry after removing it from the pan. Place on a wooden board (no plastic with hot food, please). Let cool, then mince/finely chop.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, crack eggs, pour milk, pinch of salt and cracked pepper (remember to really be sparing on salt because the bacon will add more salty flavor). Blend together until eggs are well mixed, then add chopped spinach, grated cheese, and chopped onion. Fold together gently.
That’s it. The end result should definitely be more spinach than eggs. The idea is for the egg to merely be a medium to hold together all the spinach. Pour it into your crust and pop into the oven. Cook on 425 for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 300 and bake an additional 30 minutes. Test with a fork inserted into the center, it should come out clean and top should be perfectly brown. Let cool and serve warm.
The home fills with insane aroma from the bacon and bubbling crust.
Inhale, slice, and serve with love in your heart. xxx, Leah