This is my best attempt to replicate an insanely simple and delicious salad from Axe, our neighborhood restaurant in Venice with a cult-like following. The beauty of the salad is in it’s vibrant organic ingredients and shredded easy-to-eatness. This can be done by hand, but will significantly increase the prep time; a food processor makes this a breeze. This is easily my favorite salad and one I make many times a week. I reserve any leftovers for the next day and often turn them into a breakfast dish with a crispy fried egg on top. Divine!
SERVES 4-6 people (20 min.)
- 2 bunches of regular organic arugula, washed, dried and stems cut off
- 1 head of red radicchio
- 1 1/2 organic red OR yellow onions, shredded and deep fried (yes, i just said that!)
- 4 cups organic olive oil (for deep frying onions)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup shredded high quality parmesan cheese
- Generous squeeze of balsamic reduction cream, like this one.